Thursday, July 28, 2011

Getting my balls on...

When the measuring cups and spoons come out, you know Lexi's in the kitchen.

And when the Magic Bullet is out... Well... It's time to cook!
When I got home from therapy this morning (after doing a major stock-up at Whole Foods!! Including Dark Chocolate Dreams for the first time!), I wanted to create something. I've been wanting to make Amanda's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Protein Balls for a while now, so the moment I got home, I was whizzing around the kitchen, grabbing Almonds, dates, oats, protein powder, and chocolate chips...
The assembling of ingredients was surprisingly easy! Instead of using three large dates like the recipe recommends, I added about 1/3 cup of chopped dates. The Magic Bullet made quick work of the almonds and dates, delivering a smooth, even consistency within moments. I was happy :)


  I also used Whole Foods' Chocolate Soy Protein Powder rather than vanilla, 'cuz, well, that's all I had!


The Bullet gave me a very fine, dry powder, which I was supposed to turn into balls. What? How am I supposed to turn this dust into a sturdy, firm form? Impossible! I considered adding some almond milk or more dates to the mixture as a binder, but I figured I would give it a go before altering the recipe more. Forming the mix into balls was tough, but I squished into submission and ended up with a lovely product :)


I'm not sure why, but somehow instead of making four balls, I came out with seven! Weird much? Maybe my protein powder scoop in big, or I just have small hands and thus small balls (at least I'm not a guy). It's a mystery.



I popped them in the fridge, once balled, but of course, I couldn't resist a sample first. Mmmm. So good. A little crumbly, but so much chocolaty goodness! It was like... Taking a bite of very firm oatmeal filled with chocolate... Or... Eating an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie. Divine.


What's your favorite recipe from the blog world?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the response about the carbs...great idea with the rice! Those balls look yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you like Dark Choc Dreams? I have a jar of that and Cinnamon Raisin PB in my pantry...love em both :)! I think learning how to make kale chips was one of my favourite blog world ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried it yet! I'm waiting till I finish my 365 Crunchy Peanut Butter, but I may just break into it early ;)
    I've never tried Kale Chips, but they sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your balls look great, I really got to get my balls on and try making some of these!

    ReplyDelete